Sunday, December 16, 2012

Michael Writes in the U of A business library

Sunday, December 16, 2012  Winspear Library, University of Alberta School of Business

I post this on a computer in the library of the last University of Alberta faculty I attended.  Mine was the first class, 1985, to graduate from the new building of the School of Business.  Before then, the school was in the Central Academic Building.  As I walked into this library, I remembered many sessions of groupwork in the rooms for that purpose.  Now computer terminals fill half of the space, but the rooms remain.  Happily, a sign advises quiet, and it is quiet this last week of university before Christmas. 

A few students study at tables:  another generation learning about financial statements, debt-to-equity ratios, organizational theory, statistical analysis, arbitrage, market research methods, business case studies, and the many other things that make this Canada's top business school.  I'm glad I studied here. 

In a few minutes I will post this and walk to the Garneau Theatre, now Metro Cinema, to see "It's a Wonderful Life."  That film argues that people, not profits, are the purpose of business.  Few since Plato have agreed, and even he put traders in a low category in his ideal state, his Republic. 

Education truly is worth the effort.  Have the courage to try, and the willingness to fail and to continue:  good habit for life as well as for school.

The Ancient Greek historian Thucydides wrote that courage leads to liberty, which leads to happiness. 

Education made me happy before I entered this university.  Education continues to make me happy.      

No comments:

Post a Comment