Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Libraries, Buses, Films, Music, Trains, and Yule


Wednesday, December 19, 2012   Woodcroft Public Library, Edmonton

I like Edmonton public libraries, even if they charge users an annual fee, unlike British Columbia libraries.
As I listen to a Vancouver Co-Op Radio podcast on a public library terminal, I type of many things.

Edmonton city buses are great ways to get around.  A $22.80 10-pack of tickets lasts me more than two weeks.  I live two blocks from the Jasper Place Transit Centre, from which buses go many places:  downtown, West Edmonton Mall, and several libraries, such as this one. 

Some libraries are close to pools, another fun discovery in Edmonton.  My low-income swim pass gets me into city pools free, and I have swum, steamed, sauna-ed, and whirlpooled in most of them. 

A sadder bus tale is Carla's very late bus to Edmonton.  It should have been here at 11:00 this morning.  It will be after midnight tonight.  The bus from Prince George left three hours late, picked her up in Williams Lake, and missed the connection to the bus from Kamloops to Jasper.  Carla waited in the Kamloops bus station from 2:30 this morning until about 2:00 this afternoon, rather than the few-minute stop scheduled. 

Now she buses through the night to chilly Edmonton, -21 today, with -30 predicted for tomorrow. 

In other news, have a link to a new Edmonton film I saw last week: 
  
http://www.hotdocs.ca/film/title/who_cares

Have a link to an old classic film I also saw last week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJfZaT8ncYk

Here part of a Borodin string quartet, which I saw performed in city hall, for free, the other night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSdMKJqnnW4

That same city hall had a display of the many commuter train routes planned:

http://www.edmonton.ca/transportation/LRT_Network_Plan_Jan2011.pdf

Ah, if only the population was more densely settled.

Lastly, have a Merry Christmas.  Carla and I will drive to BC on Saturday, leave the car there for her, and I will bus back to Edmonton on Boxing Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment