Saturday, December 1, 2012

Edmonton Pools and Weather

Saturday, December 1, 2012   Idlywylde Library, Edmonton

I watch traffic navigate a snowy street outside this Edmonton library and mention my past week's activities here.  Gotta love that library internet access.

A downtown concert of Handel, Mozart, and Beethoven concertos lightened the winter darkness, a couple days after a swim at O'Leary pool and walk to Alberta Avenue Hall to watch the Grey Cup on a big screen.

Last night I ate natchos and drank Heineken at Kelsey's pub, thanks to a $50 gift card from my generous brother.  There are $24 left on the card, which is also good at Minestrone's, Swiss Chalet, Montana Steakhouse, and Harvey's. 

Then I swam, went down the curly tube slide, and sat in the hot tub at Jasper Place pool, the closest pool to where I live. 

Today I took my $8.50 one-day bus pass and struck out for Hardisty Pool in the east end.  Newer than Jasper Place pool, Hardisty has a steam room, sauna, hot tub and 25m pool.  I swam a few lengths, steamed and soaked, and returned to the winter outside. 

A snowy walk across Capilano ravine took me to 79 Street and 105 Avenue and the #94 bus to Bonnie Doon pool, busy with lessons.  This 1966 place has a four-level steam room, and four-level saunas in the change rooms:  step up and cook.

Here I type, a couple blocks from that pool, before I dig out my bus pass and ride to the University of Alberta Bookstore Christmas Sale. 

The Edmonton Coalition Against War and Racism's tenth anniversary celebration is at Strathcona Hall, between the university and here, today.  I'll see it, ride to a Christmas craft sale at Youngstown Hall near a social housing complex in my neighborhood, and then ride back to the university area to meet one of my two charming sisters. 

She bought us tickets to tonight's local taping of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation Radio One's show "The Irrelevant Show."


   



No comments:

Post a Comment