Monday, May 11, 2020

A and N Boutique No More

May 11, 2020

Army and Navy, "Western Canada's Department Store," one slogan says, went out of business this week.  This family-owned business started in 1919 in Vancouver.  The first location I knew was the Edmonton one at 82 Avenue and 104 Street, when I started attending the nearby University of Alberta in 1979.  My brother called it "A and N Boutique."  I bought many bargain clothes there, notably fleece pants for running in winter.  I also knew the 105 Avenue and 97 Street location, which closed more than 20 years ago, years after I left Edmonton.  In 2019 the original, downtown Vancouver location decreased from two buildings to one, and had various centenary decorations after the reopening of the diminished space.  I was in the New Westminster location many times, and in the Langley one once or twice.  The remaining five locations closed this week.  Army and Navy joins Kresge, Metropolitan, Eaton's, Sears, Woodwards, Zellers, SAAN, W.W. Arcade, Stedman's, Marshall Wells, Macleods, and various other retailers on the ash heap of capitalist consolidation.  What would Rosa Luxemburg say?






1 comment:

  1. Dad it was sad to hear about A&M Boutique. I am commenting in hopes that this will help you find my blog. which I have started writing in again.

    ReplyDelete