Monday, November 6, 2017

Hockey Helmet Pony Tails

Monday, November 6, 2017 

     Saturday, November 4, skating for the first time this winter season, I liked watching pony tails flying from under hockey helmets worn by several girls, age 9-12, skating in pairs or trios, wearing their hockey sweaters, 
     No girls played minor hockey when I did, in the 1970s.  Girls figure skated.  When our coach invited one to show us power skating techniques when I was 12 or so, nobody on my team could catch her.
     The activism against fighting in hockey might yet civilize the sport among men and older boys, amateur and professional.  "I was watching the fight, when a hockey game broke out."
     Poetry in motion, that's what I thought when I watched a couple university women's hockey games in Edmonton a few years ago:  finesse, not goonery.
      Everybody skate, to "The Skaters' Waltz!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV4BxDcWus8

    

No comments:

Post a Comment