Tuesday, January 6, 2015

"Jackrabbit" Johanssen Lived How Long?

     "Act your age!"  adults tell children who misbehave.
     Snoopy the Peanuts dog sometimes groaned after exertion.  Speech bubbles coming from his feet, head, legs, and other stressed body parts would say "*&#!" and other complaints.
     Today I did not act my age, and speech bubbles complained from various body parts; but I managed to cross-country ski six kilometres, the last three mostly up a gentle but relentless grade.  I wonder if I would make the grade of Ingemar "Jackrabbit" Johanssen, an idol still gliding along when I first cross-country skied as a mid-1970s teenager.  He didn't act his age, and he lived a long life.
     Now "I feel good," as James Brown sang, but I doubt that he skied.  A little soak, steam, sauna, and float in the local public pool complex will reward my aging muscles.  They stopped speech-bubble complaining, but I want to be able to get out of bed tomorrow.  I'll therefore indulge my durable body today.
     Readers!  Get off this blog and go exercise!  You'll be healthier and happier.
     "Oy oy oy," as my Norwegian ancestors said, or didn't say.  I don't know.  Grandpa said he used to hunt moose on skis.  That I'd like to see:  a moose on skis.   

No comments:

Post a Comment